Verrucae (or) warts is one of the commonest skin infection and it can affect people of any age group and sex. Homoeopathic treatment can surely cure any type of warts on the basis of individual symptomatology and allied factors. Homoeopathy helps in the restoration of the health of the patient.
KEYWORDS: VERRUCAE; HOMOEOPATHY; IGNATIA AMARA AND THUJA OCCIDENTALIS
Warts are small, fleshy bumps on the skin and the mucous membrane. It is a common benign epithelial hyperplastic growth caused due to the infection with Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). It can either spread from one location on the body to another or from person to person by coming in contact with warts.
TYPES OF WARTS
|CONTENT||COMMON WARTS||VERRUCA PLANA||PLANTAR WARTS||GENITAL WARTS|
|TYPE||HPV-2||HPV-3 & 10||HPV-1||HPV-6 & 11|
|SHAPE AND STRUCTURE||Dome shaped papules with verrucous formation||Smooth flat topped papules often multiple in number||Multiple small black dots at the surface which are actually tiny blood vessels||Small or cauliflower- like large fleshy and raised growth|
|AFFECTED AREAS||Commonly hands, feet but it can affect any site||Face and dorsum of the hands||Soles of feet and toes||Male-penis. Female-vulva, vagina, perineum. Homosexual Males-perianal region|
|CLASSICAL FEATURES||Filiform with finger like projection||Koebner’s phenomena(warts on trauma site)||Multiple warts coalesce to form a mosaic wart||Like condylomata accuminata|
- NAME OF THE PATIENT: Mr.X
- AGE:30 YEARS
- SEX: MALE
- RELIGION: HINDUISM
- FAMILY: NUCLEAR(5)
- OCCUPATION: IT EMPLOYEE
- DATE: 17-06-2020
|LOCATION AND DURATION||SENSATION AND COMPLAINT||MODALITIES A\F=||CONCOMITANT|
|SKIN: Right index finger since 4 years||Single large warts finger-like projection Usually painless but sometimes he feels pricking type of pain||A\f= grief <Exposure to cold water and things <From smoking cigarettes <Drinking coffee <holding things||_|
HISTORY OF PRESENTING ILLNESS:
The patient was apparently well 4 years back when he gradually noticed a tiny papule on his right index finger. It slowly increased in size and he started feeling uncomfortable while holding and gripping things. He took allopathic treatment (cryotherapy) for the same but got no relief. It is then when he switched to homoeopathic treatment.
HISTORY OF PAST ILLNESS:
- At the age of 12 – Chickenpox- traditional treatment – relieved
- At the age of 20 – Typhoid – allopathic treatment – relieved
- Father- Tuberculosis
- Mother and sister- Diabetes Mellitus
LIFE SPACE INVESTIGATION:
- Grief towards his nephew’s death (suicide by hanging in his house at the age of 12)
- After that incident, his warts complaint got worsened and he was constantly worried about it.
- After he heard the news of his nephew’s death, he went to that spot, removed the knot and carried the boy on his shoulders.
- Since that incident, he wants to be alone and doesn’t want to talk to anyone. But if any close relative consoled him, he felt much better.
- Whenever he took cryotherapy, the complaint was better for some time but as soon as he thought about his nephew’s death the complaint recurred.
- While holding anything with his hands he felt a sudden pricking pain in his right index finger which lead him to eventually drop that object.
- Even after taking the allopathic medication continuously for 3 years he didn’t feel better and therefore shifted to homoeopathic medication.
- Appetite – Adequate (3-4 times\day)
- Thirst – Adequate(cold water -2-2.5liters\day)
- Sleep – Refreshing(7-8 hours per day)
- Sweat – Increased(Especially over face)
- Stool – Satisfactory(1-2times per day)
- Urine – Satisfactory
- Dreams – Nothing significant
- Thermal Reaction– Hot patient
- Habit – Coffee-5 cups/day; Smoking- 3-4 cigarettes/day
- Desire to rainy season
- Desire cold drinks
- Desire fanning
- Desire covering
- Intolerance to hot summer weather
- Desire non veg (especially chicken and beef)
- Desire spicy foods
- Everythings he desire cold things but it aggravates the warts complaint
- Aversion to vegetables (ladies finger and cabbage)
- Long-lasting grief about his nephew’s death
- Worried about his complaint
- Desire solitude especially when thinking about his nephew’s death
- Cooperative and patient
- Doesn’t get angry easily
- If any close relatives consoled him, he felt much better.
- PHYSICAL EXAMINATION:
- Complexion- Pale
- Built- Moderate
- Anemia – Pallor(+)
- Icterus- Absent
- Cyanosis- Absent
- Edema- Absent
- Clubbing- Absent
- Lymphadenopathy- Absent
- Pulse -79 beats/min
- Blood Pressure – 126/88 mm of Hg
- Respiratory rate – 18/min
- Temperature -98.6*F
- SYSTEMIC EXAMINATION:
- SKIN: RIGHT INDEX FINGER
- INSPECTION- Single large wart is present, brownish finger like projection, no discharge.
- Palpation– Tenderness is present; wart is hard, rough and stony hardness, warmth is slightly present.
- SKIN: RIGHT INDEX FINGER
COMMON WARTS (FILIFORM WARTS) ON RIGHT INDEX FINGER
CHRONIC REPERTORIAL TOTALITY: (SYNTHESIS REPERTORY)
|REPERTORIAL TOTALITY||REPERTORIAL RESULT|
|MIND- AILMENT FROM- grief||Nux-v. – 16\6|
|MIND-COMPANY-aversion to||Ign. – 12\6|
|FACE –PERSPIRATION-only face||Phos. – 10\6|
|STOMACH-COFFEE- agg.||Staph. – 10\6|
|STOMACH-COLD-drinks- agg.||Sep. – 12\5|
|STOMACH-SMOKING- agg.||Caust. – 10\5|
|SKIN-WARTS-brown||Puls. – 10\5|
|SKIN-WARTS-filiform||Thuj. – 10\5|
- MEDICINE: (17-06-2020)
- IGNATIA AMARA 200 (2 Doses, Weekly once)
- SG (2globules-BD – 14 days)
- 1st Follow Up On 20-07-2020
- Patient feels much better.
- Grief and worry about his nephews’ death is slightly better
- Pricking pain has decreased
- Finger like projection at the side of the wart has fallen down and the centre is protruded.
- Aggravation from cold things still persists.
- Wart has turned yellowish in colour from brown.
- MEDICINE :
- IGNATIA AMARA 1M- 1 DOSE-(STAT)
- SL-OD- 2weeks
- 2nd Follow Up On 24-08-2020
- Patient feels much better than before
- Now he doesn’t want to be alone and wants to spend time with his close friends and family
- Warts size and shape – slightly reduced
- Colour of the warts turned yellowish to dark brown.
- Pricking pain has disappeared.
- Patient is stable- generals sweat over his face is much reduced;others-good
- THUJA OCCIDENTALIS 200 (3 doses, weekly once)
- SG (2 globules, BD-1month)
- 3rd Follow Up On 28-09-2020
- Patient complaints feels much better and the size of the warts is reduced
- Colour of the warts is brown to slight yellowish in left index finger
- Granulation with reddish colour around the warts is seen
- Patient is stable-generals-good
- THUJA OCCIDENTALIS- 0\1 (2 doses; 1st dose on the first week; 2nd dose in 10 ml of water in 10 ml can with 10 succussions (FLUXION POTENCY) in 3rd week )
- SG (2 globules, BD-3weeks)
- Wart has completely gone.
- After 4 months there is no reoccurrence of warts.
- The patient is completely cured.
DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSION:
The patient responded well with IGNATIA AMARA 200. He continued the treatment after 17-06-2020. He had much improvement and also feels better in his mental symptoms. On 20-07-2020 –IGNATIA AMARA 1M-1 dose was prescribed, he felt absolutely fine in the mental ailments. Then he visited on 28-08-2020, according to the totality of the symptoms, THUJA 200-3doses weekly once was prescribed, the first dose given on 24-08-2020. After one month, he felt better but granulations with reddish colour around the warts were seen. THUJA OCCIDENTALIS -0/1-2 doses were prescribed.
On 29-10-2020 the wart completely fell off. Even after 4 months, there was no recurrence of warts and the patient was completely cured.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dr. Suseendran (BHMS; MD Scholar)
Scholar in pediatrics, Govt. Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital, Bhopal
- Medical student assisting in patient assessments, documenting patient care, maintaining medical records. Has extensive knowledge in medicine with well-developed observational skills.
- Practiced Homeopathic medicine in OP’s, IP’s, RHC facilities, providing diagnosis and treatment for all patients with various disorders.
- Endorsed changes in diet and suggested physical fitness